Green Fools Theatre is a non-profit, charitable society that creates, performs, and teaches
physical theatre arts focusing on masks, clown, puppets, stilts, and circus for diverse audiences locally and internationally.
We utilize a variety of physical theatre, puppet and mask techniques as well as multiple artistic disciplines to tell our original stories, producing puppet shows and physical theatre productions that are literally out of the box inspired by our wondrous and mysterious world. With an eye on the past and hands on tradition, Green Fools Theatre also strives to advance our work and our art form by inventing and engineering new puppetry styles and ways of storytelling as well as innovative artistic processes merging content and form to create new world mythology.
Green Fools Theatre reaches tens of thousands of audience members each year through performances, community events, festivals, and creative training by extensive local touring, as well as some National and International touring.
Established in 1991 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
ARTISTIC MISSION STATEMENT
Green Fools Theatre is committed to developing and promoting the arts of mask, puppetry, circus, and physical performance.
The furtherance of this aim will include:
• The education of the community on these subjects through workshops to schools and community organizations
• The making of public presentations/ performances using these techniques for diverse audience
• The maintenance of a studio space.
As an organization, Green Fools Theatre is committed to ensuring that the actions of the company hold true to the following principles:
1. Community Outreach – We connect to the larger community through the work we create.
2. Original Creation – We develop all aspects of the creations we share: the play, the design, the materials, the artists, the instructors, etc.
3. Perseverance – Our focus is on long-range goals.
4. Preservation – We cultivate the arts of puppetry, mask, physical theatre, and clown.
5. Nurturing – We support so they can thrive.
6. Inclusive – We bring together diverse ideas, perspectives and styles to create great work.
7. Inspiring – We inspire and are inspired by the people with whom we work.